One of the ongoing ways to love yourself is to nourish your body with the foods that it needs to fuel and heal.
Our bodies are designed to heal themselves, but it’s up to us to ensure we are giving it the things it needs, as well as eliminating/reducing the things that cause aging and disease, such as sugar and processed food. Planning, purchasing and preparing nutrient rich food can be fun and delicious, and it also connects you to your food/body instead of just mindlessly eating. Eating foods that are in season and organically grown are a great way to get the most nutrient dense options.
“Good nutrition creates health in all areas of our existence.
All parts are interconnected.” – T. Collin Campbell
The following recipe is one of my favorites to add to your healing food arsenals and can be eaten as a side dish, a base, or as a meal.
Not only is this recipe delicious, it will give you the benefits you need to heal and nourish your body.
- ½ large or 1 full small Green and Purple cabbage each
- 3 Leeks
- 1 to 2 Fennel bulbs
- Olive Oil
- Garlic/Garlic salt
15 minutes to wash and chop all ingredients
- Chop all ingredients separately
- Heat pan on medium heat with olive oil and start with the leeks, salt, and pepper. Stir them until they start to cook down.
- Add the fennel and cabbage and stir all together. Add more olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Stir regularly until the cabbage starts to soften up. Add the mushrooms and some more olive oil if desired.
- Do a small taste test and add salt, pepper and garlic salt if needed, but don’t over-due it. The flavor profile of the veggies is fresh and delicious.
Sometimes I prepare this as a side dish along with grilled chicken or fish. Other times I eat it as a meal and add avocado on top!
Disclaimer: Do NOT cook this on your first date with your love interest, unless you want to break the barrier and get it over with. This meal will get your gut and bowels moving!
Here are some of the amazing health benefits of each ingredient:
10 health benefits of cabbage (source – eathealthylivefit.com):
- Detoxifies stomach and colon
- Stimulates immune system
- Anti-bacterial and viral
- Muscle builder
- Blood cleanser
- Strengthens eyes
- Rich in Iron and Sulphur
10 health benefits of leeks (source – eathealthylivefit.com):
- Lowers and controls blood pressure
- High in Vitamin B6, Thiamin (B1), Vitamin C
- Eliminates uric acid in gout
- Lowers cholesterol
- Contains Pre-Biotic (Bifidobacteria and Lactobacilli)
- Healthy Nervous system
- Assists with anemia
- Aphrodisiac (Oh My!)
10 health benefits of fennel (source – veganblogger.com):
- Facilitates digestion
- Cures diarrhea
- Prevents constipation
- Lowers LDL cholesterol
- Regulates blood pressure
- Boosts immune system
- Stimulates brain function
- Reduces PMS symptoms
- Promotes eye and respiratory health
10 health benefits of mushrooms (source – Dr. Gundry and facty.com):
- Anti-aging (high in ergothioneine and glutathione)
- Vitamin booster (high in vitamin D)
- Improves heart health
- Iron booster
- Supports diabetics
- Reduces blood pressure
- Weight loss
- Immune support (from Selenium)
10 health benefits of olive oil (source – chetnatripathi.com and organicsbahrain.com):
- Reduces heart problems
- Healthy skin
- Relieves constipation
- Healthy hair
- Fights depression
- Obesity prevention
- Anti-cancer (colon and skin)
- Brain health
- Healthy bones
- Healthy blood pressure