“Create the highest, grandest vision possible for your life because you become what you believe.” – Oprah Winfrey
Have you ever thought about what your vision for your life is? Do you know what it means to have a clear and compelling vision? If the answer to either of those questions is no, I’d like to shed some light on this subject for you and get you feeling excited about vision. Today I’m going to show you how easy it can be to create a vision and why you’ll want to do it now!
Creating a vision is one of my very favorite topics and something I work with my clients on all the time. Why? Well, because I believe that a clear and compelling vision is an important part of having a fulfilling and joyful life. Moving forward in our lives is something that we all want. I’m sure you do as well! And I’m guessing you probably want to do that with purpose and passion. Having a clear and compelling vision can help you do that!
What is Vision and Why is it Important?
- Vision is a clear mental image of your future. Your vision is what you desire—what you desire for your career, for your relationships, and for your life.
- A clear and compelling vision provides you with motivation, inspiration and focus. Who doesn’t want that!?!
- When you know clearly what you want, you have the motivation you need to move forward in your life. Your vision will help you take action.
- You know those times when things feel scary? When you feel resistance? When you feel like you might not be able to move forward? If you have a clear and compelling vision, you’ll have the motivation to make it through your hurdle in order to get what you deeply desire.
- Having a clear and compelling vision also gives you purpose in your life. Your vision will give you meaning and something to work towards. You will have amazing reasons to work through your challenges, your blocks, and your hurdles.
If you want motivation and purpose in your life, you’re going to want a crystal clear vision and you’re going to want it as soon as possible. That’s why I’m giving you 4 easy steps to start creating your vision right away.
4 Steps to Start Creating Your Vision Right Away
1. Make a list of the people, places, things, and feelings that matter to you the MOST.
This step is simple. Most people find it quite easy to name the things that matter most to them. Keep writing until you completely run out of ideas. There are no right or wrong things to list here.
2. Take a look at that list and sort the items into categories.
You might create categories such as Family, Friends, Home, Health, Relationships, Travel, Work, Spirituality, Money… or you may have different ones. Everyone’s categories will be different because it’s all about what’s most important to YOU!
3. For each category, write down what you WANT in that area.
- If one of your categories is self-care, you might write that you want to take time for yourself daily, that you want to feel self-love, and that you want to practice yoga twice a week.
- If one of your categories is family, you might write that you want to have family dinners together 3 nights a week or that you want to complete family projects together.
- Maybe money is one of your categories. In that case, you might write down how much you want to make.
Again, this will vary for everyone. Please don’t judge yourself for your desires. I encourage you to write freely and just see what comes out.
4. Use your listed desires to start writing your vision.
Just start writing! Let your thoughts flow, you can always revise it later. You may want to write a separate vision statement for each of your categories, or just one for your life in general. That is up to you but the more specific you are the better!
Still Stuck? Here’s Even More to Help You..
If you need more help creating your vision, here are some tips to keep in mind:
Always write it down and keep it where you can see it!
Writing your vision down and keeping it where you can see it will help keep it fresh in your mind. By reading it often, you’ll actually train your mind to believe the vision is real and you’ll be more likely to make it happen!
Write your vision in the present tense.
When you write your vision as though it has already been accomplished, that it’s already happened, this also trains your mind. Your mind will believe what you tell it and, again, you’ll be much more likely to make it truly happen.
Be descriptive and specific and make your vision come alive!
Adding pictures or visuals can help your vision become more real for you. You can even create a vision board to go with your written vision. Some people also find it helpful to make an audio recording of their vision. Whatever method helps you really “see” your vision is great.
Include as much as you can.
It’s important to include all of your desires. You can write a separate vision for different areas of your life, if that feels right for you or you can write everything in one big vision. Follow your heart with this.
Start creating your vision right away and then start taking action steps toward it. I promise you can’t lose when you are clear on what you desire. Creating a compelling vision for yourself is going to make you feel more motivated and inspired!
Share your vision.
I know it can be scary to share your vision, but telling others about it will automatically create accountability for you. Start with people that you feel close to, people that you trust, even if it’s just one person.
Revisit, review, and revise your vision.
What you write down today, might not be true for you tomorrow. Revisit your vision frequently and ask yourself if it still feels right. Does it still feel like what you want? Don’t be afraid to revise whenever you want to.
Is Something Still Holding You Back?
Creating a vision used to be something I was afraid of. I had a lot of reasons why not to do it. Now that I’m on the other side of that fear, I have experienced the value of having a clear vision and I encourage everyone to try it.
Maybe you have some fear or resistance too. If that’s the case, its okay and I get it. I promise that once you get started, it will flow out of you more easily than you think.
I hope this article has given you lots of ideas and motivation to start creating your vision now. If you’re wanting even more, here is a short video I made on a similar topic. It’s related and could be beneficial. Check it out and let me know what you think.
As you can tell, I’m passionate about this topic and I think it’s an important part of creating a fulfilling and joyful life. If you’d like more support with the 4 steps I’ve written about, feel free to reach out to me. I want you to feel like you can start creating your vision now. I love helping people with this and I’d love to help you!